Moving Furniture/compressing a couch to fit out the door

Question
Hi Paul,

I bought two sofas 10 years ago.  The chaise fit up the elevator (NYC) and into my living room.  The couch - I had a place called Metro Sofa come and do the job -- needed to have something dismantled and then put back together again in the home.  It cost me $400!

Now I'm getting new couches and we are giving these old one to our building super.  There must be a way to re-do or un-do and do again what Metro Sofa did without having to call them.  

My husband is fairly handy -- if we just knew what to look for and how to do it, I think we could.  

Thanks for being here to help!  It's a very nice thing you do -- good karma!

Amy

Answer
Hi Amy
10yrs is a long time are you sure it was only one piece. 400 at that time was the total for a double disassembly. I can assure you unless you have done this before leave it up to the pro's. I don't know the sofa you bought and yes sometimes there made with bolts and screws, but other times we actually cut the wood. Unless you have the right tools to dismantle it is not a good idea. In NYC  I have disassembled over 10000 sofa's and I can assure you I needed practice. Tools needed drill, flathead screwdriver and a Staple Gun. If you really want to take it apart you'll need to call me so I can explain.781-534-2388
Dr. Sofa or All Furniture service give them a call if its just the one that needs to be taken apart they will chge you less. BUT if its two that needs to be done than it will be that much.
718-292-6300 or 718-268-2727 those are the numbers Good Luck Amy You might want to try and get the piece you think will fit down to the super so you know if its one or two.
Peace Love and Happiness

Moving Furniture

Paul Mayer