Moving Furniture/Will my sofa fit?

Question
QUESTION: I have a small basement doorway - 27 7/8 inches.  The height is 78 inches.  Once you are thru the doorway the stairwell opens to 34 inches wide.  It is a straight shot down the basement stairs.  The sofa I am considering is 30 inches high (without feet), 80 inches high and 36 inches deep.  Do you think it will fit?

ANSWER: Hey Kristi
With the measurements you gave me NO it won't fit. The only chance you have is if the arms are lower than 26 1/2 inches. If they are you can stand the sofa up and bring the lower arm through first while rotating as it goes in. When its through the entry start bringing that arm upward while bringing the other arm down and rotating the other arm through the entry. This will be tough cause your going downstairs and this technique is for level ground or going up.
The other problem you have is the narrow hallway after the entry. That narrow after the entry limits your ability to maneuver the sofa in. This could be a problem. I don't have a picture of the furniture so I have to lean on the side of caution.
Peace Love and Happiness

QUESTION: Ok. I went back to the store today with metal tape measure in hand.  Bottom to top of sofa is 29 1/2 inches. Length is 80 inches. Depth is just 31 1/2. Arm height is only 20 inches.  With these measurements, might it work?

Answer
Hi Kristi
Every little bit helps.you can stand the sofa up and bring the lower arm through first while rotating as it goes in. When its through the entry start bringing that arm upward while bringing the other arm down and rotating the other arm through the entry. This will be tough cause your going downstairs and this technique is for level ground or going up.
Kristi we're working at 80-20 and its only that cause I don't have a picture. I thionk you'll be ok. Take the door off its hinges and take any cushions that can come off. Try to make it as easy as possible when going down. Plastic wrap between door and the sofa's back makes it easier when you have to squeeze through. Good Luck Kristi.

Moving Furniture

Paul Mayer