Moving Furniture/How big a sofa will fit down my basement stairs?

Hi, Paul.  First of all, thanks for taking these questions

My son has refinished my basement, and I had grand ideas about a leather couch with reclining seats down there.  However, now that I have started to look at furniture, I don't think we'll be able to get any large-size sofa or loveseat down there.

The entry to the basement comes off the kitchen.  The door is 29.5 " wide and 80" tall.  I have a large area in front of the door, so I could put anything straight in.  The stairwell is straight to the bottom, but it is only 34" wide.

Is it possible for you to tell me from those measurements how big a sofa I could get down there?  I'm thinking our only option will be to sit on beanbag chairs, watching our big flatscreen on the wall!

Thank you!

Hi Sue
You didn't tell me if there were any sharp turns. If its straight down you'll need to look for any furniture that has a back height of 29 or less. Remember when looking on line the measurements they give you is the measurements from floor to top of cushion. You'll need to find out the true height of the furniture. Plus you need to find out if the legs come off. Plus if you take the door of the hinges you'll get another 2inches. Peace Love and Happiness

Moving Furniture

Paul Mayer

I have been disassembling and reassembling furniture for over 25yrs We are a specialty delivery company that has been all over the east coast. Most of my expiernce comes from the NY area where I have disassembled over 10,000 sofas.If there's something I know I kniow sofa's Any questions on upholstered products. Delivery of furniture. Repairs, problems replaceable components on furniture.Restoration questions,Remember there's always a way just wether or not you want to pay.

I have been in the furniture business for over 25yrs. I repair reupholster,Deliver, disassemble, reassemble and restore all types of furniture.There is not a question on furniture I can't answer or help with.

Restaurant and Hotel Management

Jennifer Convertibles, Ashley, RTF, Thomasville, Levitz, Seamens, Havertys, Mitchell Gold, Morr & mcphearson just to name a few