Moving Furniture/Will this sofa fit through the doorway?

QUESTION: I'm deciding between two sofas...

My lounge doorway is 80 by 29 inches, to get to it we have a fairly narrow hallway at 35 inches wide and 89 inches high.

We have measured the sofa in store without cushions on etc and it is 40.5 inches deep and 28 inches high at the back and  25 inches high at the arm rests. I think the feet come off which would give an inch or two less on these heights. We are deciding between the medium length which is 74 inches or large at 84.5 inches. This is the sofa if seeing the style is helpful,defa

I know the medium will go through the doorway as its less than the doorway height and I cut a cross section out of cardboard! - and it should pivot about the doorway fine. However I'm not sure if there is enough room in the hallway to angle the large sofa through the doorway.  Can you give any advice from the information I've given? Thank you in advance.

Is there a sharp turn to get into the area. You didn't mention any sharp turns. If this is a straight away than you need to just have a height on the sofa of 28 1/2 or less. Which you have. But if you have a sharp turn and the sofa needs to be stood up then read below.
Stick with the smaller one. Think of a tv. From top to bottom the measurements are 20 inches but if you measure from top corner to the opposite bottom corner you'll find the numbers to be 8-15 inches longer. So because the sofa is bigger than the door height that would mean you would have to go through the doorway at an angle. Which would mean you would need the ceiling height to be higher than 105inches. Hope this helps. Peace Love and Happiness

QUESTION: Thank you Paul for your response, that is very helpful.

The lounge doorway is off the hallway at a 90 degree angle. So we agree and have decided not to buy the large sofa.  And I also got the height of the doorway wrong as it is 78 inches not 80! (My trouble is I converted cm to inches for you!)

We are considering another sofa that is just longer than the doorway height by an inch, so 79 inches.  It is 28 inches high at the back and you can zip off the arm rest cushions so it is only 21 inches high at the arm rests, and it is 38.5 inches deep.

We are hopeful that we could angle this sofa in, as its only an inch! Would you say this would be ok?

Thankyou very much

Hi Emma
Because the doorway to the entry is on a 90 degree angle and the hallway is only 35 inches
you won't have enough room to turn the sofa to get into the room. You have to stick with something that's smaller than the doorway. Unless you want to have it disassembled. Then you can get what ever you want. Peace Love and Happiness

Moving Furniture

Paul Mayer

I have been disassembling and reassembling furniture for over 25yrs We are a specialty delivery company that has been all over the east coast. Most of my expiernce comes from the NY area where I have disassembled over 10,000 sofas.If there's something I know I kniow sofa's Any questions on upholstered products. Delivery of furniture. Repairs, problems replaceable components on furniture.Restoration questions,Remember there's always a way just wether or not you want to pay.

I have been in the furniture business for over 25yrs. I repair reupholster,Deliver, disassemble, reassemble and restore all types of furniture.There is not a question on furniture I can't answer or help with.

Restaurant and Hotel Management

Jennifer Convertibles, Ashley, RTF, Thomasville, Levitz, Seamens, Havertys, Mitchell Gold, Morr & mcphearson just to name a few