Moving Furniture/Moving an armoire upright or lay it down?

We just purchased a large wood armoire from a moving sale and are not sure how to move it to our house.  The last time we tried to move a large armoire, leaning it backwards to get it into the pickup truck put all the weight on the back legs and they snapped.  We are leaning towards renting a moving truck so that we can move the armoire upright, hopefully eliminating the risk of damaging it.  It is 81" tall and is one solid piece.  Renting the truck is very expensive, so I was wondering if you had a better idea for how to move it.   The advantage to the moving truck is the appliance dolly which may prevent injury to our kind volunteers.   Is there a safe way to lay down a large piece of wood furniture so that it doesn't snap in the process?  Or should we just go with the oversized moving truck?

Hi Art
I'm not sure what type of armoire we are talking about and usually a pickup truck is fine. Its just when you pick the piece up there is no leaning. Must be picked up straight up then lean into the pickup truck make sure there are plenty of mats on the truck for protection. Even if you rent a truck you will be leaning the armoire to get into the truck and besides how will it get on the truck. Did you make sure the dolly is wide enough to have all four legs of the armoire on the dolly. Very dangerous. Or better yet hire 2 men and a truck. Good luck Art
Peace Love and Happiness

Moving Furniture

Paul Mayer

I have been disassembling and reassembling furniture for over 25yrs We are a specialty delivery company that has been all over the east coast. Most of my expiernce comes from the NY area where I have disassembled over 10,000 sofas.If there's something I know I kniow sofa's Any questions on upholstered products. Delivery of furniture. Repairs, problems replaceable components on furniture.Restoration questions,Remember there's always a way just wether or not you want to pay.

I have been in the furniture business for over 25yrs. I repair reupholster,Deliver, disassemble, reassemble and restore all types of furniture.There is not a question on furniture I can't answer or help with.

Restaurant and Hotel Management

Jennifer Convertibles, Ashley, RTF, Thomasville, Levitz, Seamens, Havertys, Mitchell Gold, Morr & mcphearson just to name a few