Moving Furniture/Basement Stairs (Old House) & What Size Mattress Will Fit Down There

Question
I have made a bedroom in my partially finished basement.  I am getting ready to get a bed and am not sure what size will fit down the stairs and am a bit of a loss to know exactly how to measure.

I'd like a king, though a queen would be fine if a king won't fit.

Can you tell me exactly what/how to measure on the stairs to know for sure?  I can take photos as well so you can see which parts are open, which parts are closed off, ect.  

I have taken a full size down there for storage purposes with no problem, so I'm assuming a queen would be fine since there's only a 6" difference.  A king, however, has me nervous.

Answer
Hi Beth
A couple of pics would help. Some measurements would be great too. First the bed width and the bed length . The last measurement is from one corner to the opposite corner.
The basement. Is it going down stairs?  How high is the ceiling and width of the hallway? Are there any turns before or after the entry? Its sometimes not so much the mattress but the box spring. Kings are big beds its more the height of the ceiling then anything else. Mattress's unlike sofa's bend and give a little and a mattress across normally is around the same measurement as the height of your door so really where you might have trouble is going down the stairs when the ceiling might dip a little . Well get back with some pics of the basement path that would help. Peace Love and Happiness

Moving Furniture

Paul Mayer