Moving Furniture/Getting sofa up narrow staircase

I have bought a sofa with a height of 68cm at the back and 58cm at the arms. These measurements already factor in removing the feet and cushions.

I have just been to measure the staircase at the property where we are moving to and at its most narrow point it is about 63cm wide.

I am wondering if there is any way to angle the sofa to take advantage of the lower arm height and reduce the overall sofa height so that it will fit.

Many thanks

I hope I will be able to help :)

To be 100% certain all measurements of the sofa should be less than what the measurements of the clearance, however facts such as shape of the sofa, arms and back that will allow sofa to be tilted and or passed through the door diagonally makes a big difference.

According to your measurements and knowing average shape of the sofa I personally believe you should be able to carry in tilted - not able to say for 100% but should be 80-90% fine  

If you like the sofa it will get inside :). My suggestion will be let the delivery company deliver it and try it, hopefully will fit, in case if it did not fit there are companies who can disassemble and assemble it for you. One of the best companies I would suggest is "All Furniture Services" they very professional, they work 24/7 they do not charge extra for same day service and almost always they can send you someone right away. I'm not sure how much exactly they charge but it is very affordable and considering work I would say cheap. Their web: tel.: 1 718-268-2727, 1-646-688-4026
Good luck to you!

It is actually the staircase that is a problem, doors are fine. The staircase has solid walls on both sides, does that make a difference? Or still probably ok?

You know the shape of the sofa you bought and according you should know shape of the back arm and type of the legs - generally if problem is within few inches only tilting and moving diagnally solves the issue as if you picture the square and imagine left top corner are the legs than top is the back and seat is on the left than right and bottom almost empty as nothing in front of back or on top of the seat - it is nto square.
Bust shape same time plasy some what of a role - I think you will be fine

Moving Furniture

Mikayel Aslanyan

Furniture Repair, Antique Restoration, Disassembly, Assembly, Sofa / Couch Take apart,Refinishing, upholstery, take apart, Moving Damages, Insurance Claims, Sofa Couch Disassembling, Leather Vinyl dyeing

17 years in business as well as own furniture repair companies in NY NJ CT MD VA DC PA IL CA

masters degree in cybernetics

Rated # 1 Service Company in NYC metro area, Winner of 2010 Angie's List Super Service Award and Thumbtack Elite Service Award, Recognition for All Furniture Repair & Disassembling Services as Best of Citysearch, 2006 Audience Winner in Home Repair Category, Award of Best of Flushing 2008, 2009 & 2010 in Furniture Repair & Refinishing by US Local Business Association, Multiple Publications including New York Magazine, New York Interior Magazine, Time Out New York, Spotlights on Univision News, NBC News, etc. Awarded Certificate of ISO 9001:2000 Standard.

over 300 acounts in furniture industry visit