Moving Furniture/Couch help - movers said it would not fit in apt

Question
vestibule
vestibule  
Hi there,

I recently ordered a couch from Macys (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/elliot-fabric-microfiber-sofa?ID=475452&Categ) measuring 90"W x 37"D x 29"H.

After the movers came today and failed, I decided to take pictures and measure out everything. Attached is the picture, incase it doesn't attach, here is a URL for the photo: http://oi57.tinypic.com/2lwramc.jpg

The movers proceeded to try after they first determined it wouldn't fit. They got it up the staircase, to the right and were able to move straight into the vestibule with the couch couch upright. Unfortunately once it was in the vestibule they determined there was no way it would fit since the height clearance of the doorway is 79". The amount of space in the vestibule is about a square roughly around 40" LxW.

My question is, is there anyway this would have fit? If not, what size couch do you recommend I purchase to be able to fit through this double doorway apartment? Thank you for any help!

Answer
Hi Derek
Welcome to the world of disassembled furniture. Or apartment size furniture or maybe go into one of the Jennifer convertibles they sell sofa's that actually come in a box very easy to put together and getting into small area's.
I actually started one of my businesses in NY disassembling furniture , a long time ago. Its sort of like playing tetris. Make a box measure it from top to bottom lets say the number is 20 inches now measure from one top corner to the opposite bottom corner . The number you get will be higher. So the the first number on the box is your number on the sofa. The height, the depth,and the length. The other number is for every turn you have to make with that sofa. So , the reason it could not get into apartment is when they or if they got to the end of the hallway and then the sofa would need to have turned because the smallest number is the height and the sofa is taller than the door so when they or if they turned the sofa they would have it the wall. Any thing under 78 inches in length, no higher than 28 1/2 or the arms need to be lower than the back. Hope this wasn't confusing, Here are some companies that disassemble furniture All Furniture Service, Willies Disassembly service or Dr. Sofa. Peace Love and Happiness

Moving Furniture

Paul Mayer