Moving Furniture/Sofa

QUESTION: Good Afternoon,

I'm shopping for a new stationary sofa and my doorway dimensions are 79" high and 35" wide and hallway is 36" wide. The first sofa delivered didn't fit through the doorway and was returned. The overall dimensions of first sofa were 37"H x 89"W x 39"D.

What should the sofa's overall dimensions be to fit thru my  doorway?

Any assistance provided will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

ANSWER: Hi Karen
I feel there is more to the story. You talk about a hallway is your door to the left or right of the hallway. See, if the only problem was the door then the 2 inches shouldn't have been a problem unless, you had to make a sharp turn, and in that case the hallway was to narrow to turn the sofa, and since the sofa was taller then the door height it would never make the turn. So I'm guessing here but if its straight in your looking for a height of 34 and lower. Please note when looking online the height measurement is for where you will put the sofa. Not for delivery. Need to find out when you find a piece if the legs come off and what the height would be from wood to wood. Now if there is a sharp turn your best bet is to go with a sofa that is lower then the height of the door so there are no issues.Or look on Google sites for RTA Sofa's Peace Love and Happiness

QUESTION: Thank you for the timely response.  I plan to go sofa shopping this weekend.  

My apartment doorway is on the left and it is a sharp turn. If I'm understanding you correctly I should look for a sofa that's less than 79" wide and 34" high with our without legs which has been very difficult since there aren't many available under 80" wide.  

Is it possible a 80" or 81" wide sofa would fit if height is 34" inches or lower?

Hi Karen
Follow me:
The door height is 79 inches
The hallway from side to side is 3ft
The height of the sofa Only matters when its a straight shot in, because its usually the lowest point of a sofa to make it through doors.
When there are sharp turns involved we now have to stand the sofa up , and since the depth of the sofa is 39 we can't fit the sofa through that way so we will have to go down the hallway with the lowest part of the sofa which is the height. But now your door to the room is to the right and your door width is only 35 inches again the depth of the sofa will be facing the door and we can't fit 39 through 35 right?. So we have to make sure first of all that the arm height is lower then the back height for maneuverability for  turning the sofa but the only way we can turn the sofa to make the turn the sofa has to be lower then the door if its 1/16 of an inch too big it won't make the turn. Now I gave you a site on google called ready to assemble furniture I'm pretty sure there are more then one company that makes furniture that comes in pieces Here in the older cities we have people who disassemble furniture but I don't think there's anyone in Arizona. You could try All Furniture services see if they have anyone in that territory. Or stick with modular pieces armless loveseats , chairs with one arm etc... Good Luck Peace Love and Happiness

Moving Furniture

Paul Mayer

I have been disassembling and reassembling furniture for over 25yrs We are a specialty delivery company that has been all over the east coast. Most of my expiernce comes from the NY area where I have disassembled over 10,000 sofas.If there's something I know I kniow sofa's Any questions on upholstered products. Delivery of furniture. Repairs, problems replaceable components on furniture.Restoration questions,Remember there's always a way just wether or not you want to pay.

I have been in the furniture business for over 25yrs. I repair reupholster,Deliver, disassemble, reassemble and restore all types of furniture.There is not a question on furniture I can't answer or help with.

Restaurant and Hotel Management

Jennifer Convertibles, Ashley, RTF, Thomasville, Levitz, Seamens, Havertys, Mitchell Gold, Morr & mcphearson just to name a few