Moving Furniture/sofa 80 x 38 x 23

Would love your fabulous help :)  I've ordered a sofa that is 80 x 38 x 24 (legs removed).  My hallway is 38.5 inches wide, and the living room door frame is 80 x 32.  Directly opposite the living room door frame in the hallway is a closet door, which can be opened to provide about 8-10 more inches of hallway space if I need to tilt the sofa into the living room (standing on its end).  I'm hoping the 80 inches will clear, but you never know...  Think it'll work?

ANSWER: Hi Missy
Ok so before the living room door and the hallway there has to be a front door and a way to the hallway. So lets start from there. The front door I'll assume is at least 32 inches but are there any sharp turns before or after the front entry?Now to the hallway , which is 38.5 if this is true then you'll have 1/2 inch for the sofa to go down the hallway with the height of the sofa facing the living room entry. You have to be correct about these numbers because its the only way it will go. Usually doors are 79 inches. We have to be exact because its wood, and wood can't be pushed down. This also depends on whats before the hallway and if there is enough room to have the sofa turned the correct way. You might have to direct the delivery men on how it will work. Personally I would stand it up on one arm put it on a 4 wheeler with the widest part going down the hallway with the lowest point facing the living room entry have fun Peace Love and Happiness. The height of the sofa is 24 inches that's the part that has to go through the entry ways

QUESTION: Thanks so much!
Revising sofa measurement to 80 x 38 x 23, and attaching a pic to best show layout.  There is an access door from the kitchen, I think I may have to come in that way (back outside stairs) I appreciate your thoughts above.  Still think vertical is the best approach?  Appreciate it!

Hi Missy

Hallway to your apartment is only 37 inches wide so for the sofa to make it down the hallway you'll need to go through with the 23 inches which would be the height of the sofa. Its the smallest part of a sofa .
Which leaves the 38 inches facing your door way,but 37 inches won't go through 32 inch door so you would have to turn the sofa.So think of a box. From top to bottom we'll say its 4 inches but from top right corner to bottom left corner its a lot longer) Same with the sofa . When we turn the sofa the 38 inch depth now turns into 52 inch depth Thats how wide the hallway needs to be if its bigger then the door height. Since the length of the sofa is the same as the door height I'm afraid there's no room for error. Again wood is not flexible. Since the hallway is only 37 inches wide its not wide enough to turn the sofa. If you take the trim off the door you'll get it in. The sofa has to be smaller then both door heights. If you need them All Furniture Service does dis assemblies in your area . Its a gamble do you feel lucky?
Peace Love and Happiness

Moving Furniture

Paul Mayer

I have been disassembling and reassembling furniture for over 25yrs We are a specialty delivery company that has been all over the east coast. Most of my expiernce comes from the NY area where I have disassembled over 10,000 sofas.If there's something I know I kniow sofa's Any questions on upholstered products. Delivery of furniture. Repairs, problems replaceable components on furniture.Restoration questions,Remember there's always a way just wether or not you want to pay.

I have been in the furniture business for over 25yrs. I repair reupholster,Deliver, disassemble, reassemble and restore all types of furniture.There is not a question on furniture I can't answer or help with.

Restaurant and Hotel Management

Jennifer Convertibles, Ashley, RTF, Thomasville, Levitz, Seamens, Havertys, Mitchell Gold, Morr & mcphearson just to name a few