Moving Furniture/fitting furniture through narrow doorway

Question
Hi~ I have a basement family room - straight shot through kitchen down to basement. Doorway is 29" wide.  What is the largest width/height I need to look for in order to guarantee a couch or small sectional can fit through the doorway - the family room is directly at the bottom of the stairs with a straight shot.  THank you!  I understand that if you measure from floor to the back of the sofa/sectional that is a magic number I need to stay within.

Answer
Hi Becky
So its straight through? But to get to the basement is that straight through. Lets play a game. Lets say your walking through your home and you go through the front door and you go straight to the basement door you can actually see the basement door from your front door? No turns straight in from the front door to the basement door? If thats the case then you need any sofa with a length thats no bigger then 78 inches cause I'm assuming the height of the door is 79 inches ,now the hallway down to the basement what is the width there? If its just a 2-3 inch wider gap then you must stick with any sofa with a height no more then 28 inches. See but what your doing is trying to have me do all the leg work you need to do some research for the shopping. You should look at whats out there then tell me what you got take pictures give me a website to see the furniture. There's too much out there now. Sofa's that come in a boxes unassembled or reclining sofa's that the backs come off or modulars that come in all shapes and sizes. There called apartment sofa's or klic klack .
When looking online at measurements the height of all furniture is the number with the legs on and to the top of the cushion. You'll need to call the companies (some) some have it on the websites or send me a pic to find out if the legs come off and what the true height would be from wood to wood.. Ok happy hunting Peace Love and Happiness  

Moving Furniture

Paul Mayer