Mozilla Firefox/Server Connection Failed

QUESTION: I have been trying to reach  In Firefox 27.0.1 I continually receive the error message below.  I have no problem when accessing it via IE or Safari browsers.  I used to be able to get to it from Firefox.  What can I do?

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to SSL received a record with an incorrect Message Authentication Code. (Error code: ssl_error_bad_mac_read)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
   Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

ANSWER: Hi Barbara,

I actually get the same error. However, there are a couple of things you could try.

One thing that comes to mind is the Proxy settings. If you do not need to use a proxy to connect to internet then try to select "No Proxy" if "Use the system proxy settings" or one of the others do not work properly. You can get to this option by clicking the orange Firefox button then going to Options. Click on the Advanced tab then the Network tab and Click the Settings button. Then finally click No proxy as mentioned above. Then click OK to confirm it. Restart Firefox then try to get to that site now.

Let me know if this works or not.

QUESTION: I checked.  I was already at No Proxy.  But - guess what!  I just tried again and now the site opens.  Maybe it was them?  Thanks, anyway.

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for letting me know. I went to the site again, and it is indeed working. .gov sites have been down for me several times with the EXACT same message so next time it happens, just wait it out.

Also, it would be best to put the "Use the system proxy settings" back on the Settings window as it is the default setting for Firefox.

P.S. Have you checked out Firefox beta? The new UI Australis has landed onto Beta and will be released to the public! Please help me and other Mozillians out by testing it and reporting bugs to

Mozilla Firefox

Moses Bermea

I can answer almost any question about Firefox, add-on compatibility, how to force add-ons to work, browsing safely, about:config settings, flash problems. I can read Firefox crash reports and stop ads in Firefox.

I have been volunteering for Mozilla since January 2009 giving me 5 years of experience in both using Firefox, diagnosing problems, and giving correct fixes. I am currently a Moderator over at the Mozilla Support forums.

SUMO: Mozilla community consisting of both volunteers and paid staff of Mozilla

I have a High School Diploma and am going towards my Associate's in Web Development.

2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Forum Support recognition at Mozilla

40M+ users of Firefox