Mozilla Firefox/Right Click Context Menu

Hi Moses,

I am running Firefox 29.0.1 on a Window 7 64 bit professional OS. I installed a PC Fix program yesterday that changed the context menu in Firefox.

In the past I could select a word or words on a webpage, right click on that selection, and the context menu would say "Search for "...."

Now when I right click on a word or words that I selected, the context menu now says Search for "...."

How do I replace the so that is now searched?

Hi Mike,

Thank you for patiently waiting. I've been having some family troubles and I am just catching up.

A few things to try.

1. Go to about:config via the Address Bar
2. Press the button saying you'll be careful.
3. Search for "browser,search"
4. Make sure that "" and "" is set to its default value "Google". If not, right click those prefs and click Reset.

If the prefs are blank, try searching for "amazon" via the about:config page. If prefs pull up, right click and reset.

Last thing to try is to install the SearchReset extension from Mozilla's add-on site.

If you are worried about Firefox being equipped with another extension, please note that this extension only reset all prefs to the default and uninstalls itself when it's done. A more technical explanation from the AMO page itself:

"This add-on is very simple: on installation, it backs up and then resets your search preferences and home page to their default values, and then uninstalls itself. This affects the search bar, URL bar searches, and the home page."

Please let me know if this answers your question. If not, we can continue troubleshooting. I'l be sure to get back to you this time! :)

Mozilla Firefox

Moses Bermea

I can answer almost any question about Firefox, add-on compatibility, how to force add-ons to work, browsing safely, about:config settings, flash problems. I can read Firefox crash reports and stop ads in Firefox.

I have been volunteering for Mozilla since January 2009 giving me 5 years of experience in both using Firefox, diagnosing problems, and giving correct fixes. I am currently a Moderator over at the Mozilla Support forums.

SUMO: Mozilla community consisting of both volunteers and paid staff of Mozilla

I have a High School Diploma and am going towards my Associate's in Web Development.

2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Forum Support recognition at Mozilla

40M+ users of Firefox