Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/music and math

Hi! This probabaly isn't a question you usually receive but I'm hoping you could help me out. In school, I have a project due next week to write about how music and math are related and any relationships between them. Since you work with musical composition I was wondering if you could help me out a bit and let me know if you know anything about it. Thanks!

I'm not gonna do your homework for you, but I will steer you in a couple directions to explore.

There  are in  fact many correlations between the two disciplines -so:

music is sound -sound is made up of vibrations delivered through many means: vocal chords, instruments -

music is based on scales composed of notes -research the overtone series and how it relates to musical intervals
and eventually chords -why some pitcches are low, some are high  , why?

music is based also on rhythm - a regular ( or irregular ) division of elapsed time - research how these divisions
are derived and how they affect the music you hear.

another hint: research the Golden mean and how it relates to music.

Wikipededia is your friend -have at it!

good luck!

Phil Kelly

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Phil Kelly

I`m a semi-retired professional music arranger with over thirty five years in all phases of the commercial music production business. I can try to answer questions regarding music arranging, theory, orchestration , and/or composition for most acoustic ensembles .( jazz band or orchestral ) I can try to offer suggestions about studio music recording procedures and some basic MIDI applications , too. In the course of my career I`ve worked with such artists as Doc Severinsen and the old Tonight Show Band, Bill Watrous, Buddy Greco, John Gary, Mel Torme, Julius LaRosa, as well as the Pop programs of the Fort Worth, Dallas, North Carolina, and Houston Symphonies, as well as library music material for ABC, ESPN, and NFL Films.