Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/music and math

Question
Hi! This probabaly isn't a question you usually receive but I'm hoping you could help me out. In school, I have a project due next week to write about how music and math are related and any relationships between them. Since you work with musical composition I was wondering if you could help me out a bit and let me know if you know anything about it. Thanks!

Answer
Victor:

I'm not gonna do your homework for you, but I will steer you in a couple directions to explore.

There  are in  fact many correlations between the two disciplines -so:

music is sound -sound is made up of vibrations delivered through many means: vocal chords, instruments -

music is based on scales composed of notes -research the overtone series and how it relates to musical intervals
and eventually chords -why some pitcches are low, some are high  , why?

music is based also on rhythm - a regular ( or irregular ) division of elapsed time - research how these divisions
are derived and how they affect the music you hear.

another hint: research the Golden mean and how it relates to music.

Wikipededia is your friend -have at it!

good luck!

Phil Kelly
http://philkellymusic.com

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Phil Kelly