Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Singing using notes and chords and guide

Question
Hi Penny.  

When i sing over sheet music that i've created for guitar do i change my voice to the same pitch as the chord change?  What are the rules for writing vocal parts? Do i start on one of the notes of he chord that's being played, or some other technique. I have for instance sung a B note (I have an mobile phone app that tells me what pitch i'm singing )where the chord change for guitar is G major.  Is this acceptable or should it match the change.

Thx

Answer
Hi Sunny: There are 3 notes (at least) in every chord, so you can sing any one of the 3 notes in a chord as part of a melody.  As the chord progresses, the melody notes may change, but they will always be to one of the notes in the chord.  When you sing a B note in a G major chord, you are singing the middle note of the G chord, or the 3rd of the chord.  See if you can find an ear training app for your phone or an ear training class at a local college.

Best wishes,Penny Nichols

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Penny Nichols