Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Should a three-year-old child learn piano?

Question
Dear Clare, could you pls advise?

What kind of music should a three-year-old child learn?

My son was born in 2009 and I would like him to learn something, perhaps piano (?) But I don't know if it is too early.

Thank you.

Answer
Hello Lee, and thanks for being patient.

Why do you want your son to learn music?  Do you want him to derive lifelong pleasure from it, enjoy a particular genre or a whole variety of genres, find emotional release and refuge in it?  If so you have to let him learn at his own pace, which for the average three-year-old means music and movement - dancing, singing, imaginative movement.  The babies in my classes are learning to jump and march in time to the beat. They listen to me with closed eyes and tell me what pictures the music paints for them - is it slow/fast, happy/sad/scarey/grumpy, low/high, flowing/spiky? - then they dance to it.  Most of them can't skip yet so learning to skip is an important part of the class, but they learn to hear the difference between running music and skipping music.  We sing and act out nursery rhymes and they learn to recognise nursery rhymes from clapping the rhythm only.  Above all, we have fun.

Of course three years old is far too young to start an instrument.  The best age for starting the piano is about 8 or 9, and for a long time I wouldn't take pupils younger than that.  I have taught five-year-olds and there's no advantage to starting that early since you can't progress at a normal rate - progress has to be at a snail's pace because the child simply doesn't have the physical dexterity to learn faster.  Bear in mind that not only must you use both hands equally and independently, all ten fingers have to be equal, and that takes time and a lot of practise.  

I have to say that if you came to me and said, "My son is nine years old and I want him to learn the piano" I'd turn you down immediately.  My rules for accepting pupils: your son must want to learn himself, which means he has asked you "please may I have lessons?", and he must be of an age to understand that, although the lessons will be fun, he's going to have to work in order to progress, which means daily practice.  You'll need to encourage/remind him to practise and ensure he has uninterrupted quiet to do so, but any attempts to force him into practice are doomed to failure.  You're guaranteeing that as soon as he's old enough to make his wishes known he'll not only give up, he'll never touch music or the instrument again.  

Hope this helps.

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Clare Redfarn