Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Where should I send the lyrics I create to?

Hello, and thank you for answering!

I have been writing songs ever since I was 10. I'm 21 now. I'm very much an introvert, so I don't share my lyrics with too many people, but anyone I have showed them to has been very impressed. I was wondering how I can get artists and music producers to see my lyrics. Do I just send them to the company? The only problem is I don't know how to play any musical instruments, so all I have are the words. Is this okay?

Thanks for your question.  The music business is a particular challenge for introverts.  I write about this in my book (

Of all the many roles in the journey of a song from creation to realization to proliferation,  none are more important than the role of lyricist.  In all the music business the most valuable person is a good lyricist.   World-class musicians can be found easily, but no so with lyricists.

However, I emphasize that one has to be an exceptionally good lyricist, i.e. way above average.    

In your position, there are a few things you need to do.
First, you need to get some professional objective evaluation of your lyrics to determine their overall potential.  You cannot judge by the reaction of friends, family, or anyone who knows you.  Also, you cannot judge by what you hear on the radio or what is currently popular.  Popularity is usually the result of something other than the quality of the song.  It usually has to do with the popularity of the artist, or  the connections behind the song, or the corporate money behind the song.   In fact, a large portion of what is popular does not qualify as good lyric writing at all.

For someone who is unknown, without connections,  and trying to break into the business,  you cannot afford to have anything less than material that is way above average.    The most valuable thing you can get to determine this  is objective critique from a qualified professional.

The two primary ways to do this are :
(a) to join a local songwriters association that offers critique,  if there is one in your area.  Many of these groups have sessions where member present their songs or lyrics and the others provide constructive feedback (As an example, check out the Connecticut Songwriters Association,  They work with folks across the U.S. both in person and by mail or e-mail.

(b) Work with a good songwriting coach on an individual basis to get a proper evaluation of your songs. There is usually a nominal fee, but well worth it.  A Level-3 critique is one of the most valuable things you can get, and it will help make your songs the best they can be.    Visit   for my several articles about the critique process, and an option for submitting songs for evaluation.

When you have arrived at the point where you are being told by objective professionals that your lyrics are of professional competitive quality,   the next step is to find a collaborator or get a musician to put melody and chords to the words, to make a simple demo recording of a complete song.    Then you need to have that demo evaluated for objective critique just as you did with the lyrics.   Finding the right collaborator is important and not always easy.  Also, you have to decide whether you want to work with this person as a partner (shared ownership of the copyright) or whether you just want to hire them for a set fee to write the music, and you retain 100% ownership of the copyright ("work for hire").  The complex area of collaboration is discussed in "Songcrafters' Coloring Book" (

I know it is often difficult for introverts to put their creations "out there" for criticism, but it is the absolute best way to insure that your work reaches its full potential, and that you don't spend lots of time and money trying to send out songs that are not going to be taken seriously.   Working with a songwriter association or songwriting coach is also a good way to insure that you don't get taken advantage of by the many scams out there that advertise putting music to lyrics.  Lots of these are just schemes designed to extract money from people who are not savvy about how the business really works.  

Once you have what you know to be professionally competitive songs, you cannot just send unsolicited material to a publisher or record company - they'll just throw it in the trash.  You need at least a basic demo (what constitutes a sufficient demo is very much dependent on the style of music and the target audience).

Then you have to get permission to send a package to a company.  You need to call ahead, speak to someone and tell them you've had your songs evaluated  and that you'd like permission to send your material.  Send a CD and lyric sheets, and put your full contact info on both.

There is a lot more to say on this topic, far too much to fit in this space.  A very important topic, but too complex for this forum is that you need to understand the roles and differences between publisher, producer, and arranger. To help you through all of this, read "Songcrafters' Coloring Book"  for a thorough discussion of lyric writing and how it fits into the business side of things.  

I wish you the very best with all your projects.

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Bill Pere

Can answer questions on : Technical aspects of lyric and music compostion; How to give and receive objective critique; Arranging and production; Concrete vs abstract imagery; Use of metaphor; Rhyme techniques; Song Structure; Collaboration; Songwriter Associations; Promotion; Guitar technique; Music Business;

Grammy-Award-winning songwriter; President of the Connecticut Songwriters Association and Director of the Connecticut Songwriting Academy; Named one of the Top 50 Innovators and Guiding Lights of the Music Industry in 2008 by Music Connection Magazine; Author of "Songcrafters' Coloring Book:The Essential Guide to Effective and Successful Songwriting." Named Independent Artist of the Year,by the 2003 national Independent Music Conference; 30 years as a professional singer-songwriter; 16 original CD's released;
Have had songs placed on other artists' CD's. Twice named Connecticut Songwriter of the Year.
20 years as Executive Director of the LUNCH Ensemble. Have attended more than 200 presentations by top industry professionals and have critiqued thousands of songs. Have written and produced dozens of stage plays and hundreds of concert events; Have coached hundreds of aspiring songwriters, and collaborated with several award winning writers. Have written commissioned songs as an Official Connecticut State Troubadour. Music Director of youth choirs and music camps.

Connecticut Songwriters Association (President); LUNCH Ensemble (Local United Network to Combat Hunger -- Exec, Director); CMEA (Connecticut Music Educators Association); Folk Alliance; Association For Psychological Type; Songsalive; WE R Indie; Creative Songwriting Academy;

Songcrafters' Coloring Book: The Essential Guide to Effective and Succesful Songwriting Songwriters Market (2001, 2002); Connecticut Songsmith; Contemporary Songwriter Magazine; Songwriters Musepaper;
Songcrafter's Coloring Book;   Strategies for Teaching Guitar;

Masters Degree Molecular Biology; Certified MBTI Practitioner (Myers Briggs Type Indicator); Connecticut Secondary Public School Teaching Certificate; Author: "Songcrafters' Coloring Book: The Essential Guide to Effective and Successful Songwriting"

2012 Grammy; Named one of the Top 50 Innovators and Guiding Lights of the Music Industry in 2008 by Music Connection Magazine; Independent Artist of the Year, (2003 national Indie Conference); Official Connecticut State Troubadour, appointed by CT Commission on the Arts, 1995 ; 1982 and 1992 CT Songwriter of the Year; 2000 Award for 20 years of Outstanding Service to Songwriters;
2002 CSA Award for Outstanding Contribution to Education through Music; Numerous awards for outstanding community outreach through music; 1997 Citation from Connecticut Legislature for exemplary dedication to community outreach through music. 1995 Renaissance Award for multiple music achievements in a single year.   Invited Presenter and Mentor at various Music Conventions