Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Arranging Barbershop Music

Hey Chuck, it's nice to know you're a fellow Barbershopper! I just wanted to know how much Music theory I should get in college to be fully prepared to arrange songs in the barbershop style. And how many barbershop 7ths do I need in a song to make it contestable? Thanks in advance!

jIM Richards has a good book on the theory part of music
and there is a manual to get to \delve into the bbshop idiom
the amount of music theory needed is basic to all music arranging
nothing more noted  from the ''classic realm'' than that
there is more to note from your analyzing the basic arrangements already
done in bbshop style
for example
full diminished chords are very very rarely employed
1/2 diminished chords are sometimes used
6,9th chords are usually present if part of a melody rather than
part of the HARMONY
DOMINANT 7TH CHORDS ARE USED IN STANDARD progressions and most often
used in the 'CIRCLE OF 5THS'' progressions that takes the song through
many dom. 7th chords...
HOW MANY in a song,? well, if they don't come naturally in the song, and you
are adding them , you'll need at least close to 1/2 of the chord sounds as being
4 note chords (7ths)

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

I am a professional musician, I can play by ear, I arrange music write music, teach music in the public school system, and teach privately. My father was a school music teacher, and I have written three volumes for teaching beginning string players, taking them from scratch to high school level. I have performed in a local production of Music Man (musical) with celebrities John Davidson/Susan Watson and have my masters degree in education. I retired from the classroom in 2004 with 38 yrs. experience-now still substituting for music- and writing arr. for my cello trio(with two audio cd's and one dvd of a performance) I have directed church choirs and am principal cellist in our local community orchestra. I really love to arrange music for the groups I perform in and sing and have music in my life every day. A day without music, is a mistake, like having a day without sunshine.

Employment history: I have been employed by our local school district since 1967 as a music teacher from grades 1-12 Organizations: I play cello principal chair in the local community orchestra, and sing in a chorus,and perfom in a barbershop quartet

Education: My early life in high school and college was summer workshops in choral conducting with founder of Westminster Choir College (N.J.) Dr. John F.Williamson (in Who`s Who in Music) and summer workshops with Robert Shaw in San Diego Grad. of Sacramento STate Univ.and masters from Univ. of La VErne, ca

Awards: awarded the Bank of America award in my high school senior year for music