Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Can the bridge section be in the same key?

Question
May I have this question?

When you write the bridge section for a ballad, can the bridge be in the same key? Or does it need to be a different key?

Thank you

Answer
Hello Dave, and my apologies for making you wait so long for a response.  

The three inseparable and interdependent elements of music are rhythm, melody and harmony, and all three need to be taken into consideration to produce a successful composition. Even if you're writing an unaccompanied melody line, the underlying harmonic progressions must be implicit. Emphasis on the word "progressions" - music should never be static. It's always moving somewhere, taking ideas, developing them, introducing new ideas, reverting to our original idea, drawing to a close.

The whole point of a bridge is that it gets you from one bank of the river to another.  If the two banks are different from each other in character then the bridge leads you from one to the other; if they're the same then the bridge is furthest away from them both at its midpoint, so it leads you away and then takes you back.  Either way the key factor is "transition" - you need a starting point that's connected to the place you're moving away from.

So in a musical context, I'd say that a bridge needs to start in the same key as the preceding material (otherwise it's not a bridge passage, it's a contrasting section).  What happens next depends on the length of your bridge - you can pass through keys or modulate to them (not the same thing).  Just don't lose sight of your destination and remember you've got to get back.

Hope this helps.  

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Clare Redfarn