Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Moving from the bridge to the chorus in a new key?

Could you pls help me with this question?

Iím writing a song in the key of G.

I already have a verse and chorus, and am writing the bridge.

In my draft, the bridge melody will end with the D note, which means the chord for that last measure is still D.

After the bridge, I would like my chorus to move up one step, to the key of A.

If the last chord of the bridge is still D, is there any way for you to sing the chorus in the new key of A?

My sincere thanks,

Hello Mike,

Couldn't be easier!  In order to modulate you need the following: a) a pivot chord which is common to both the key you're leaving and the key you're moving to b) the dominant 7th of the new key c) its resolution (= perfect cadence) in the new key.  So if you're in Gmaj and your bridge ends on Dmaj, there's your pivot chord right there = V in the key you're in, IV in the key you're heading towards.  All you need to establish your new key is V7 I = E7 A.

You could strengthen the key change by putting in a Bmin chord so your progression is IV II V7 I in the new key = D Bmin E7 A.  I think this would be a better option, particularly as you're not intending to go back to your original key.  Try both and see what you think.

Hope this helps.

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Clare Redfarn

All aspects of the academic/theoretical side of music, including harmony, counterpoint, elementary composition, history, harmonic analysis, aural training, sightreading - the lot! Please note I'm not primarily a composer so I can't help with composition beyond what's required for Grade 8 theory or A'level. And don't ask me about psychoacoustics or music psychology as I have no knowledge of, nor interest in, either subject.

57 years as pianist (soloist and accompanist); 42 years as harpsichordist (soloist and continuist); 10 years as violinist and 6 years as bassoonist (youth orchestras/chamber groups); 45 years as piano teacher, coach in performance/interpretation (all ages, instruments and levels) and private tutor (mainly the old O'level, Grade VI+ ABRSM theory/practical musicianship, A'level and undergraduates); 20 years as ballet pianist (Cecchetti syllabus).

Member of Musicians' Union in Britain 1978-1989 and 1991-2009.

I've been writing professionally since I was 20 - too many programme notes to count over the years and a number of articles. Additionally, from 1996-2000 I was a Music Assessor for London Arts and as such regularly wrote critiques of concerts given by recipients of Arts Council funding.

MA in European Cultural Policy & Administration (Warwick University, 1994)
B Mus with Honours (London University, 1977)
Postgraduate Diploma in Arts Administration (City University, 1982)
Licentiate of Royal Academy of Music in Piano Teaching (1976)
Licentiate of Royal Academy of Music in Harpsichord Teaching (1978)

Studied RAM Junior School (1966-74), then as full-time student (1974-78).