Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Getting back to original key from bridge

Question
Hi Clare,

I am trying to compose a song and am stuck on getting back to the original key from the bridge. The song is in C, and for the bridge I have Em...Am,Em....Am,Em....Am, F#....B. I then want to get back to C and have tried several combinations with B, Am, G7,C being the closest but not quite right. Any advice would be great thanks.

Regards

Mike

Answer
Hello again Mike,

You're not thinking in the key, though.  I bet you haven't established your home key and you certainly haven't moved out of it so that F# chord will stick out like a sore thumb.

You've got a bass line that's a series of ascending fifths (E A F# B) so why not continue the series with G7 C?  

You want my advice?  Go and learn theory properly - make sure you understand *thoroughly* about intervals, triads/chords and their inversions, diatonic scale construction and the cycle of fifths.  If you're going to compose a song you need an understanding of how music "works". It's the difference between picking up a few phrases in a foreign language and learning the language properly; if you don't acquire a complete grasp of the grammar and syntax you'll never progress beyond baby talk.

Hope this helps.  

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Clare Redfarn