Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/How good are those vocal processors?

Question
Dear Sir,

I want to ask how good the vocal processors are in enhancing your singing. For example, I happened to see the demos of the so-called Izotope Nectar, which includes presets for soul/rnb/pop/country, etc singing. So apparently from the same original voice, you can make it sound like a soul/rnb or country vocal.

Is it too good to be true? I mean, in real life, it takes one many years to learn singing in one particular style only.

Answer
Hi Mike:

I'm not familiar with the particular device you mention, but the various actions it purports to do sound quite apecious -i.e. being able to electronically "change a singing style". The many aspects of a vocal "style" must be a part of the performers background that can only be acquired by years of singing experience. This thing sounds like an effort to separate you from some cash.

There are other devices in use today ( like auto tune ) that after a fashion do change certain aspects of a vocal performance, but I'm not paarticularly fond of using them in a recording situation. If a singer can't render a convincing performance with inherent good intonation and grasp of a given style, that person has no business in a recording studio in the first place IMO.

This is not to say that judicious use of reverb, EQ, and other traditional recording tools shouldn't be employed in ones production. There is even a case to be made for using electronic tools to alter a vocal sound if the track calls for it, but it all has to start with a basically solid professional performance from the talent.

I may be somewhat of a dinosaur on this subject, but that's how I see it  :)

http://philkellymusic.com

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Phil Kelly