Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Making a backing track from the vocal?

Question
Dear Sir,

If I understand correctly, normally a singer would need a backing track first before recording the vocal.

However, can it be done the other way around. For example, a singer would record the vocal over a very bad backing track. So it cannot be used.

Can she send her vocal only to an arranger so that he can create a backing track to suit the voice? Can an arranger do everything (intro, outro, instrumental in between) for that vocal?

Thank you.

Answer
Hi Jon :

Under most conditions, unless the vocalist is an experienced professional singer, this approach  is loaded with potential problems
( the main one being the need to create a totally in tune track for the arranger to write to ) I've written a lot of tracks where the singer has supplied me with a rough vocal and almost 100% of them have atleast a piano or guitar track to assure a usable pitch center.

Hope this helps:

Phil Kelly
http://philkellymusic.com

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Phil Kelly