Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/musical stab

Question
Hi!
I often hear these sharp musical stabs in action movies which sound like short violin chords or some sort of horns. Can you please watch and listen to the video below (at the 1 minute mark). Can you tell me what instrument is used, is it a combination of instruments, is it a chord? I want to reproduce this sound in my midi sequencer, any tips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4puUo4OYViE

Thanks

Answer
Hi Vadim :

the sound you're refering  to @ approx. 1:00 in  as a "stab " ( or series of stabs over a low legato cello line ) sounds like
hard downbow violin double stops reinforced by staccato high woodwinds ( flutes , oboes ).

However,You shouldn't need to go to the trouble of reconstructing the sound  -practically every synth and sampler menu I've ever seen
has one or more sampled "orchestral stabs" available for use.

If you want to build your own:

1. with the brass, enter staccato chords ( in 8va tpts /bones )

2.  copy this whole chord to other tracks 8va up and double the chord with high w/winds ( flutes/ oboes /clarinets/ piccolo  etc )

3. on new tracks, copy w/winds -program with marcato arco strings

4. for extra power, add percussion ( tymps choked chrash cymbals )

With all that effort, IMO it's far easier to look for a sampled " stab"

good luck !

phil kelly
http://philkellymusic.com

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Phil Kelly