Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Can one create the same arrangement just by listening?

Dear Sir, I am curious about this question.

Can one professional arranger/musician create a backing track, which sounds like the original recording, just by listening?

For example, if one arranger/musician needs to accompany a local singer who covers a well-known song, can they create an arrangement which sounds like the original?

Thank you

Hi Kevin :

For a professional arranger, the simple answer is yes's a basic exercise in using ones transcription skills.
However, it is a tedios and somewhat thankless task ,so expect the arranger to charge you more than he would for doing an original

Phil Kelly

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Phil Kelly

I`m a semi-retired professional music arranger with over thirty five years in all phases of the commercial music production business. I can try to answer questions regarding music arranging, theory, orchestration , and/or composition for most acoustic ensembles .( jazz band or orchestral ) I can try to offer suggestions about studio music recording procedures and some basic MIDI applications , too. In the course of my career I`ve worked with such artists as Doc Severinsen and the old Tonight Show Band, Bill Watrous, Buddy Greco, John Gary, Mel Torme, Julius LaRosa, as well as the Pop programs of the Fort Worth, Dallas, North Carolina, and Houston Symphonies, as well as library music material for ABC, ESPN, and NFL Films.