Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Harlem Photo Survivors

Hello Professor DowDell,

Sorry for the off topic question but I thought you'd probably know the answer. In that famous Harlem photo of jazz musicians, are any of those people still living? I was going to do a report on that photo for school but wanted to know first if anybody was still alive. Thanks in advance, Denise.

Hello Denise and thank you for contacting me throught

The photo you are referring to was taken by Art Kane and published in the 1958 Jazz issue of Esquire magazine, which has come to be known as A Great Day in Harlem. Yes, of the 57 Jazz artists shown in the photo, 4 are still living today: Benny Golson, Horace Silver, Marian McPartland and Sonny Rollins.

Here is a helpful link:

Thanks for the interest,

D C DowDell
Professor of Music
A Passion for Jazz!
studio: (619) 855-2069

Follow us on Twitter:

Subscribe to our videos:

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

D C DowDell

D C DowDell will answer questions about Jazz improvisation, composition, chord voicing, scales and modes, practice techniques and ear training. Professor DowDell also enjoys discussions on Jazz musicology and the evolution of style.

D C DowDell is a professional Jazz pianist/composer who currently teaches online Jazz studies at A Passion for Jazz!. Professor DowDell has been teaching music for over 30 years at 2 major universities, several community colleges as well as accepting students for private study.

American Federation of Musicians
National Music Teachers Association
International Association of Jazz Educators

Bachelors of Music Education from UCLA
Masters of Music Composition from UNT