Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/From a minor scale to a major scale

Question
Hi. How do you change a minor song to a major song? The first few chords are Am, C, and then G. Can I change Am to C and then leave the second chord (C) just like that, or should I turn it to it's relevant minor chord, which then would be Am? I want the song to be a major song, so that it would seem happier. By the way, it is another person's song I want to play.

Answer
Take a look at the chords in a major key and in a minor key.

Major key:
I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii (dim.)
Root of each chord:
C, D, E, F, G, A, B
or
A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#

Minor key:
i, ii (dim.), III, iv, V or v, VI, VII
Root of each chord:
C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb
or
A, B, C, D, E, F, G

Sometimes the III, VI, and VII are notated as bIII, bVI, and bVII.

The upper-case Roman numeral represents a major triad (chord) and lower-case Roman numeral represents a minor triad. The root of each chord in a major key combine to spell a major scale. The root of each chord in a minor key combine to spell a natural or pure minor scale. Note that there are variations of the minor scale, which can also lead to varied chords.

Major and minor keys also share either tonalities or tonics depending on how they change from one key to the next. Relative major/minor keys have the same pitches, such as C major and A minor. Parallel major/minor keys have the same tonic, such as C major and C minor.

First, determine the key, such as A minor.

Then, decide to change to either relative or parallel major, either C major or A major.

At that point, convert the chords as described above with the Roman numerals.

If the key changes from A minor to C major, then replace each chord with the chord two scale degrees higher. For example, A minor, C major, and G major chords become C major, E minor, and B diminished chords. If the key changes from A minor to A major, then replace each chord with the major key variant. For example, A minor, C major, and G major chords become A major, C# minor, and G# diminished chords. Keep in mind that these are strict changes and that they may not fit within the context of the music. The chords might need to be changed with different methods to produce the desired sound.  

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

The Doctor