Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/How do you arrange the sound of 3 guitars?

uncle duke wrote at 2014-03-04 13:21:44
If you are gonna use 3 six string guitars there would be a few ways to try. The first or second guitar part would handle the main riff. The other one could emulate what the singer is singing note for note or one could figure out a counter melody to be played without imposing on the singer and the main riff player. The 3rd guitar could play exactly what the bass player is playing using single notes only or if it is gonna be an acoustic guitar just play full sounding strumming chords or break the acoustic chords into arpeggios. 2 songs that come to mind would be Sweet Home Alabama or Long Train Runnin'. Since it's a pop song as you say, you could, more than likely, get away with just 1 six string guitar.

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Phil Kelly

I`m a semi-retired professional music arranger with over thirty five years in all phases of the commercial music production business. I can try to answer questions regarding music arranging, theory, orchestration , and/or composition for most acoustic ensembles .( jazz band or orchestral ) I can try to offer suggestions about studio music recording procedures and some basic MIDI applications , too. In the course of my career I`ve worked with such artists as Doc Severinsen and the old Tonight Show Band, Bill Watrous, Buddy Greco, John Gary, Mel Torme, Julius LaRosa, as well as the Pop programs of the Fort Worth, Dallas, North Carolina, and Houston Symphonies, as well as library music material for ABC, ESPN, and NFL Films.