Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Music Arrengment

I'm a musician, a pianist and recently I started to write arrangements in the form of sheet music, using Sibelius software.
I have extensive theoretical knowledge, but I find the work of the technical writing as an act itself is very long, exhausting, difficult and frustrating.
All this - when I write Overall one instrument, currently clarinet and piano arrangements!
What will be when I'll have to write for a string quartet?

I checked a lot of options available, including even an iPhone app (!) Allows to rewrite the characters when all it takes is merely sing the melody into the iPhone.
Course work of arrengment is more complex, especially as I said, when I want for example to write for string quartet .

I'd love to hear - what do you say? Is there another way I have not considered?

Thank you very much!

Hi John, and thank you for contacting me through

I agree with you that notation software is an effort intensive process. However, the more you do it, the more familiar you'll get with the software and your frustration should diminish. Just know that it takes time to produce nice looking charts.

About the only tip I can offer is: Sibelius does have a feature that allows input directly from a digital piano keyboard with MIDI or USB. This may be a more favorable solution for you. If you choose to try this, it is necessary to play precisely and be advised to set the quantitative preference to nothing less than 1/8th notes, or you will end up with dozens of 16ths or 32nd notes tied together in a long string. If you actually need 16ths or 32nds (or smaller) go back later and edit the score manually.

Good luck and thanks for the interest.

D C DowDell
Professor of Music
A Passion for Jazz!
studio: (619) 855-2069

Follow us on Twitter:

Follow us on Facebook:

Subscribe to our videos:

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

D C DowDell

D C DowDell will answer questions about Jazz improvisation, composition, chord voicing, scales and modes, practice techniques and ear training. Professor DowDell also enjoys discussions on Jazz musicology and the evolution of style.

D C DowDell is a professional Jazz pianist/composer who currently teaches online Jazz studies at A Passion for Jazz!. Professor DowDell has been teaching music for over 30 years at 2 major universities, several community colleges as well as accepting students for private study.

American Federation of Musicians
National Music Teachers Association
International Association of Jazz Educators

Bachelors of Music Education from UCLA
Masters of Music Composition from UNT