Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Orchestration

Question
QUESTION: Hello!

Can you please explain the orchestration sounds I hear in the following examples as I am trying to recreate them by midi:

a)
the stab/hit sounds at 1:43, can you explain how you would create those stab sounds? (what instruments are used and technique)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkZQmvCYFUM

b)
same question but with the stab sounds at 0:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMsdLqj5UHg

ANSWER: Hi Vadim,

Thanks for getting in touch but please excuse my delay in getting back to you. I do not know what MIDI equipment you have so I cannot be too specific. In any case, my job here doesn't actually cover technical aspects of MIDI so I don't think I am the right person to help.

However, a "stab" in movie music is when the entire orchestra (or part of the orchestra, usually the brass) plays a short accented note. In the example at 1.43 (and at 0.20) the sound we hear is not actually a stab, is is just a  heavily accented note on the low-pitched drums and low brass instruments as well. In music notation this would just be written with accents over the notes in question and possibly the letters sfz (sforzando) underneath which mean a heavy emphasis.

You need to find a way of creating a heavy percussion accent in your MIDI recreation. I am sure that you can find some guidance online about this. Sorry I cannot be of any more help, but good luck with your endeavours.

Best wishes

Colin

QUESTION: Just a follow up on another song. I have a hard time distinguishing what the brass instruments are.
What is the horn used at 0:08 (it sounds so heroic).
And what about the brass at 0:54 which instrument is that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkPF5UiDi4g

I tried using trumpets but it doesn't sound right. I have a good sample library and i just want to figure out those sounds and match them with the proper instrument.   

Thank!

Answer
Hi Vadim,

Thanks for getting in touch. As far as I can tell, at 0.08 there are three (possibly four) French horns also known as Horn in F.

At 0.54 and for several seconds before I think we have three trombones and a tuba. If the trombone sounds in your sample library sound a bit strident, try using Euphoniums.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Colin

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Dr Colin