Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Longest Duration Solo and Duet Category Song Recorded..

Question
Dear Clare

Is it possible to find the Longest Duration Solo and Duet Category Song Recorded till date ?.

Longest Duration - Non Stop Song sung as a example 1/2 an hour, 45 minutes in Solo and Duet Categories.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hello Prashant, and thanks for being patient.

I'm sorry but I don't entirely understand the question - are you asking me for the longest song ever recorded?  In which genre of music?  I only know about Western art music, so if you want me to compare it with Indian music I'm afraid I can't help.    

I can tell you that the average (Western) art song is around 3-5 minutes.  If you're including opera that's a different matter as some scenes require continuous singing - the "Liebestod" from Wagner's opera Tristan und Isolde lasts about 8-9 minutes, Zerbinetta's aria "Großmächtige Prinzessin" from Strauß' Ariadne auf Naxos lasts about 11-13 minutes, the  Mad Scene from Donizetti's Lucia di Lammamoor lasts about 10-15 minutes although I see from Youtube that Natalie Dessay's Met production in 2007 managed to spin it out to 21 minutes.  And that's just the sopranos.  Duets are about the same - the first scene of Humperdinck's Hansel und Gretel is a duet between the two main characters (9-11 minutes), the scene from Verdi's Don Carlos between the Don and the Grand Inquisitor lasts about 10 minutes, and I can't think of any more at the moment.  

But I certainly can't think of any arias where someone is singing uninterrupted for half an hour.

Hope this helps a bit.  

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Clare Redfarn