Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Quality

Is there any objective way to measure the quality of music? Or is it always completely subjective? Music today seems like it is recorded in someone's basement and you question their talent and creative ambitions or lackthereof.

Hi James :

In short ..there's no objective criteria in any of the arts. Regardless of how much training or background you might  have, your reaction to a given creative endeavor will in the end be subjective.

when all is said and done, "Beauty is in the eye etc etc "

Whatever rings your chimes may be total cacophony to another

mo $.02 worth

Phil Kelly

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Phil Kelly

I`m a semi-retired professional music arranger with over thirty five years in all phases of the commercial music production business. I can try to answer questions regarding music arranging, theory, orchestration , and/or composition for most acoustic ensembles .( jazz band or orchestral ) I can try to offer suggestions about studio music recording procedures and some basic MIDI applications , too. In the course of my career I`ve worked with such artists as Doc Severinsen and the old Tonight Show Band, Bill Watrous, Buddy Greco, John Gary, Mel Torme, Julius LaRosa, as well as the Pop programs of the Fort Worth, Dallas, North Carolina, and Houston Symphonies, as well as library music material for ABC, ESPN, and NFL Films.