Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/walking bass line

Question
QUESTION: Hi!
I am trying to write a jazz-blues walking bass line for a twelve bar blues progression. The chords: http://andylemaire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/12-bar-blues-quick-change.png

I was told that moving up chromatic in the first chord (C, D, bE, E) is good because then you're just a semitone away from F. Other than that I understand that you can also play chord tones (eg, tonic and fith) and then land on a semitone below the next chord.

Are there times when the chromatic movement should be used and not used? Can there be too many chromatic movements up or down to the next chord?

ANSWER: Hi Andrew and thank you for contacting me through AllExperts.com.

What you are doing by walking a bass line is using linear harmony. You are connecting one chord to the next chord through a line of notes.

Sorry, I don't open unknown files but I assume you are in 4/4 and with a standard 12 bar blues using the I, IV, V (C, F, G)

Yes you can use a chromatic line here & there but too many will get monotonous quickly. You want to keep it interesting, so use variation.  Using chord tones is excellent. When you are in C use the C triad: C, E, G then a connecting note Gb to get you F and so on.

EXAMPLE | C, E, G, Gb | F, A C, B |

After a while you'll start to hear more interesting phrases for the bass line.

Listen to recordings of simple blues where you can hear the bass player. Listening is the most important skill you can have as a musician/composer.

Thank you,

D C DowDell
Professor of Music
http://www.apassion4jazz.net

QUESTION: Yes it is the 12 bar form
Should the walking bass line always be in crotchets? What kind of genres use this type of bass line?
If I play this on a piano together with a bass player it will sound a bit strange due to the fact that the pianist can't play bass line if the bassist is doing just that. Should the pianist then play chords in the left hand and licks in the right hand?

Answer
I don't know what you mean by crotchets.

Jazz, Blues and possibly some select Broadway and Pop music might use a walking bass line.

You are correct in assuming it doesn't work if the piano and the bass instruments both use this technique at the same time.

Yes, the piano would then play any number of different techinques if the bass is walking. Left-hand chords and Right-hand melodic lines would be one choice.

Sorry, can't say more. I'm driving across the state right now.

Good luck,
DC DowDell
http:www.apassion4jazz.net

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

D C DowDell