Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/form

Do you know of any examples of jazz-blues tunes with 18 bar form? Or is there no such thing as an 18 bar form in traditional jazz-blues?

Hi Andrew and thank you for contacting me through

I'm not aware of an 18 bar blues tune, however there are no absolute rules to how many bars (measures) that must be used in modern music. Usually multiples of 4 are used but any number could effectively be used in a blues or any other type tune.

Thank you,

D C DowDell
Professor of Music

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

D C DowDell

D C DowDell will answer questions about Jazz improvisation, composition, chord voicing, scales and modes, practice techniques and ear training. Professor DowDell also enjoys discussions on Jazz musicology and the evolution of style.

D C DowDell is a professional Jazz pianist/composer who currently teaches online Jazz studies at A Passion for Jazz!. Professor DowDell has been teaching music for over 30 years at 2 major universities, several community colleges as well as accepting students for private study.

American Federation of Musicians
National Music Teachers Association
International Association of Jazz Educators

Bachelors of Music Education from UCLA
Masters of Music Composition from UNT