Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Does music theory make you more creative?

Question
Does using music theory make you more creative, or is it the structures it describes perhaps?

Answer
james:

MUSIC THEORY is the building blocks for ''constructing'' music compositions.. however, if creative music writing is your goal, then that  has its success in filling your ''bag of toys'' with as much experience and ideas and skills and gathering all the appealing creations from other performers and having them all in your OWN PERSONAL BAG of tools.. then learn how to put them to use in your own creative project..

There are creative players that play in the ''theory and knowledge'' realm and other creative players play what they LIKE AND HEAR (IN their head) and actually don't ''KNOW'' WHAT theory information is going on ...

There is not ''right or wrong'' answer , there is only you as the creator of the music you wish to portray... you are the painter of the musical picture, you are the carver of the musical sculpture your create, you are the conductor of the musical piece you play, so be as good as the music you wish to create...

I was good at music theory and I do a little of each skill in my music playing and composing and arranging.... I find it a great HELP in being creative, but not solely rely on its use..

A GREAT QUESTION,, KEEP ASKING AND KEEP ON GATHERING INFORMATION

CHUCK  

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Chuck