Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Determining the # of sharps or flats in a song

Question
Hi Penny. How do I know how many sharps or flats are in a song Iím writing on the piano when I write it out by hand on sheet music? I'm getting confused because some notes I'm writing are accidentals. Meaning there a part of the song but are not mainly repeated sharp or flat notes like the others through out.

Answer
Hi Sterling:

First of all, you can determine the number of flats or sharps in a song by first fignuing out which note the song comes to rest on, usually the last note of the song rests on the tonic or "1" and also indicates the key that the song is being played in, ie.. the melody ends on a D and the song is in the key of D.  when you have looked at the Circle of 5ths (look it up) to determine the number of sharps in the key, you are then ready to write your music down.  If it occurs that in the course of your melody there are notes that would normally be sharped or flatted in the scale or key you are playing it in but in your melody they are not, then you have to either use a natural symbol, (look it up) to unsharpe or unflat the note, or of if the note is normally natural in the key you are using, then you would use a sharp to raise the note of a flat to lower the note.

Best wishes, Penny Nichols

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Penny Nichols