Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Music Theory

Can you please give me the basics of what music theory is? Thank you.

Hi Brooke :

Music theory is a study of all the materials that go into the construction of western music roughly from the time or Bach ( referred to as common practice ) up through present day. this is usually divided into multi year courses.

Subjects covered include :Basic chorale common practicer harmony ,  voice leading , chord progressions and cadences,  melodic construction, musical form and analysis, solfeggi and musical dictation.

Related advanced studies include counterpoint ( combining two or more musical lines ) and more advanced harmonic practices From Mozart, Beethoven  up thru the extreme chromaticism of Wagner and Richard  Strauss  .

Twentieth Century harmonic practices from Impressionism ( Ravel Debussy ) thru 12 tonal methods (Shoenberg et al ) and actual compositional training is the culmination of this study.

Hope this helps :

Phil Kelly  

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Phil Kelly

I`m a semi-retired professional music arranger with over thirty five years in all phases of the commercial music production business. I can try to answer questions regarding music arranging, theory, orchestration , and/or composition for most acoustic ensembles .( jazz band or orchestral ) I can try to offer suggestions about studio music recording procedures and some basic MIDI applications , too. In the course of my career I`ve worked with such artists as Doc Severinsen and the old Tonight Show Band, Bill Watrous, Buddy Greco, John Gary, Mel Torme, Julius LaRosa, as well as the Pop programs of the Fort Worth, Dallas, North Carolina, and Houston Symphonies, as well as library music material for ABC, ESPN, and NFL Films.