Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/learning jazz

Question
Hi!
When learning Für Elise you look up the sheet music and play it bit by bit before you know the whole song and if there is a piano technical problem you just ask the piano teacher.
How is learning Jazz or jazz-blues different from this?
I had a teacher who once said that it's not good at all to figure out Jazz and Jazz-blues piano rhythm is certain song by looking at the sheet music. What do you as a professor say about this?

Answer
Hi Andrew and thank you for contacting me through AllExperts.com.

Look at the tune & not make the same statement that has been made a million times. The objective of Jazz is not only the finished product, but the path & process taken.

Listening's more important than anything cause that's what music is. Somebody is playing & you're receiving. Transcribe off records. Learn from the masters directly. Keep listening to as much as you can.

Thank you,

D C DowDell
Professor of Music
619-855-2069
http://www.apassion4jazz.net

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

D C DowDell