Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/parallel fifths

Question
Hi!
I saw an aexample of a bad voicie leading (SATB). It had two notes E (in bass) and B (tenor) which moved up a step. This was supposed to be a parallel fifths but to me a fifth is only a fiths as long as E and B are written in the same octave. Could youy please explain?

Answer
Dear Andrew,

Thanks very much getting in touch. I can understand the problem here. I have seen some music text-books that explain the rules concerning parallel fifths but they forget to explain that the fifths can be any distance apart in physical terms.

For example, you could have an E on the first line below the bass clef and a B on the third line of the treble clef. In physical terms they are well over two octaves apart but from the theoretical point of view, they still form a perfect fifth. Likewise, the E could be somewhere near the extreme left of the keyboard and the B near the extreme right and yes, they still from a fifth. The same also applies to parallel octaves in that they can be any physical distance apart and should be avoided in classical harmony.

I hope this helps. If it is not clear, then please feel free to get back to me.

Best wishes

Colin

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Dr Colin