Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/relative pitch

I do not have perfect pitch. It's more difficult than I thought to hear a pitch and then play it on a piano. How do I use relative pitch when doing rhis or is it inpossible?

Anyway, I am learning blues piano and such music is mostly learned and played by ear. How can a person with relative pitch learn this?

I have pretty good relative pitch.. and it improves as you use it over time and effort.. You need to get a ''feel'' for the pitches (in your head, and voice, and COLOR SENSE)
   STart with where the note is in your range and decide if it is high, middle or low in your own voice.. (I GET A PICTURE of the notes in my head which is usually close/ near the actual pitch being played.)
    Learn to sing the improvised notes you HEAR in your head, and also learn to PLAY on piano the notes you hear in your head, - you'll discover that most (if not all) jazz players who improvise can play what they sing, and sing what they play..
    there is a lot to being a IMPROVISED PLAYER, the main thing you need to develop is a sense of performing what is in your BAG OF SOUNDS in your head, and listen to what people do, and copy them, (what you like that they do)

The more you use your relative pitch sense, the closer you'll get to being a lot more accurate..   but learning from ''written help'' is not like taking a personal lesson..

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

I am a professional musician, I can play by ear, I arrange music write music, teach music in the public school system, and teach privately. My father was a school music teacher, and I have written three volumes for teaching beginning string players, taking them from scratch to high school level. I have performed in a local production of Music Man (musical) with celebrities John Davidson/Susan Watson and have my masters degree in education. I retired from the classroom in 2004 with 38 yrs. experience-now still substituting for music- and writing arr. for my cello trio(with two audio cd's and one dvd of a performance) I have directed church choirs and am principal cellist in our local community orchestra. I really love to arrange music for the groups I perform in and sing and have music in my life every day. A day without music, is a mistake, like having a day without sunshine.

Employment history: I have been employed by our local school district since 1967 as a music teacher from grades 1-12 Organizations: I play cello principal chair in the local community orchestra, and sing in a chorus,and perfom in a barbershop quartet

Education: My early life in high school and college was summer workshops in choral conducting with founder of Westminster Choir College (N.J.) Dr. John F.Williamson (in Who`s Who in Music) and summer workshops with Robert Shaw in San Diego Grad. of Sacramento STate Univ.and masters from Univ. of La VErne, ca

Awards: awarded the Bank of America award in my high school senior year for music