Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/vocals

Question
Hi!

Me and my band is learning I walk The linet. Besides trying it on piano I will also try singing it. He sings it very low in the last verse. I assume he did not  use much of a formal vocal technique. It seems like learning sing like that is not much about vocal technique and also difficult since you're not him. What do you think?

Answer
Hi Andrew;

Figure out where your lowest note that you can sing is and find it on the piano. Then find the lowest note in the song and match your lowest note to that note in the recording then change the key of the song to a key that you can sing it more easily in.  In fact, it would probably be a good idea to move the key up from there a couple of notes to make sure you are comfortable singing it on stage or in recording.  Your adrenaline will naturally push your voice up a few notes when you are performing anyway, so take that into account.

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Penny Nichols