Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/Why is it that I can only sing one song?

Question
Hello,

I have been practicing singing for a year now, on my own, to help keep my mind occupied at home.

Today I accidentally stumbled upon a song that I can actually sing pretty well.  It's a song from The Little Mermaid, "Part Of Your World".  Looking up the song revealed that it is in F Major and the scale covers one octave in the C range.  However, when I try singing other songs that are in F Major in the range of C, I cannot sing them well at all!

I'm wondering what it is about this song that I am good at.  Is there something besides range, register and key that I should be using to find other "easy" songs for myself?

Answer
Hi Amanda:

You need to work on expanding the range of your voice.  You can hire a voice teacher for that or you can get my vocal training CD's on Homespun tapes, you can find them on the internet, or you can take Skype singing lessons with me at www.pennynichols.com.

Best wishes, Penny Nichols

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Penny Nichols