Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting/2-5-1 in classical music

Question
QUESTION: I've been looking into the 2-5-1 progression in jazz. Since jazz is said to have some elements of classical musical I was thinking that some examples of a 2-5-1 progression must be present in classical music. Do you know of any such examples?

ANSWER: Dear Hank,

Thank you for getting in touch. I presume you are referring to the chord progression, ii-V-I. (In Western music, these numbers are always written using Roman numerals with lower case for minor and diminished chords and upper case for major chords). Just to clarify this, if we were in the key of C major, the chord notation would be Dm/F - G7 - C. The first chord is a D minor chord with an F in the bass. In Roman numbers it would be shown as a iib.

This has been perhaps the most common chord progression in Western music for the last 400 years. There must be thousands of examples in hymns and chorales. They invariably appear as the last three chords in a hymn. The ii chord is invariably a iib with the third in the bass. This is because it produces a brighter sound and gives a more satisfying bass line. You could look at any chorales by J S Bach and you'll find it many times in the closing bars. Hundreds of church hymns use it too.

Because it is so common in hymns professional composers tend to avoid this progression in orchestral music because it is so over-used. So you won't find it the closing bars of many symphonies though it is sure to appear somewhere in any classical work.

Here's an example in a famous hymn tune:

http://www.colin-kirkpatrick.com/hymns/Glory_to_thee_my_god_this_night.html

This hymn is based on the canon by Thomas Tallis and every phrase ends with a iib-V7-I progression. (On the above page, click on the yellow button to see the piano score.)

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Colin

QUESTION: Thanks!
I saw that ii-V-I in the key of G at the end un the hymn.

You mentioned the iib-V7-I progression. What do you mean by the iib? All I saw in that hymn was ii chord.

The ii chord in the key of C would be Dm/F according to you. Why Dm/F and not Dm?
If I understand it correctly in classical music this progression is used as a cadence which differ a lot from the usage in jazz?

Answer
Dear Hank,

In my previous email I wrote:

The letter "c" after a chord means that the fifth note of the chord appears in the bass, same as Dm/A.

This may not be very clear for you. By the "fifth" note I mean five notes up from the root of the chord. For example, in the chord of C, the third note is E and the fifth note is G. In the chord of A minor, the third would be C and the fifth would be E. The seventh of course, would be G.

I noticed that you have not rated many of my previous responses for All Experts. I'd be grateful if you could take a few minutes to do this because it improves my status on the website.

Thanks and best wishes

Colin

Musical Composition, Theory and Songwriting

Dr Colin