Musical Genres--Rock & Pop/Mystery Instrumental: Please Help!

Question
Hi Mike!

I do apologize for the relative lack of information regarding this query, but it's very hard for me to describe this one song I remember listening to all the way back when I was a small child in the 1980s who split her time listening to '60s rock and pop and an "easy listening radio station, and heard the song in question on the latter station.

So it was an "easy listening" radio song, though if I'm guessing when the song was released I would say anywhere from ca. 1955 - 1965.  It was an instrumental, hence my inability to describe the song truly adequately via this medium, and I suppose you might call it a sort of latter-day big band/jazz orchestra hit (like, I imagine the Lawrence Welk band could have covered this song).  It appears to have two "personalities" -- one where it's got this easygoing and tranquil feel to it where the notes meander a little and I think you can hear a piano too (though don't hold me to that as I could be mis-remembering that part), and a second where the music becomes loud and almost bombastic, with the substantial horn section seemingly getting louder the higher the notes they climb. The rhythm section in the song is extremely muted, to where there are times when you don't even really notice that there's a drummer in the background (and it sounds like the bass sound is being played by an upright bass).  I imagine if this song were available on any compilations anywhere it would be on a Swinging '60s-type one because it's got that kind of "show off your high-fidelity stereo system in your funky bachelor pad" feel to it, and I imagine the orchestra were contemporaries of artists such as Burt Bacharach and Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Band.

Please, if you can help me with this I would be eternally thankful.  I've enjoyed this song (currently only in my head, though) since I was a small child but have never been able to find out who performed the song or what the song was even called, and if I could have this mystery solved I would be eternally grateful because it would solve one of the biggest mysteries of my life.

Thanks,

Diane

Answer
Hi, Diane,

Even with your very thoughtful and detailed description of the song, off the top of my head I cannot come up with one that I think meets all the criteria. The list at the following link may be of some help in your search:

http://www.waybackattack.com/top100-instrumentals.html

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. Good luck and, if you track it down, please let me know!

All the best,
Mike

Musical Genres--Rock & Pop

Mike Jarmus