Muslim Teens/self-harm

Bashir wrote at 2008-09-05 03:47:40
indeed self harming you body goes against islam, eventhough your not committing a suicidal act. Harming the body in any way is unlawful in Islam. Here are some example's smoking,drinking, taking drugs all these categories goes against Islam why? because they harm the body. During the prophets time did you hear of any muslim(s) cutting themselves,drinking, taking drugs,or inflicting harm on there bodies which Allah gave to them for a temporary use? no.. why? because it was unlawful. Indeed Allah SWA will question you for ever single action you have committed in this duniya(world)and ask you why did you commit this action. Everything happends for a reason it is a test put upon you to see what you would become out of it.

(And the Messenger(SAW) says: No harm may be inflicted on oneself or others. (Recorded by Ahmad and Ibn Maajah from Ibn Abbaas and Ubaadah; authenticated by al-Albaani and others.)

And spend of your substance in the cause of Allah, and make not your own hands contribute to (your) destruction; but do good; for Allah loveth those who do good." (Al-Baqarah: 195)

Prophet Muhammed PBUH stats: And whoever commits suicide with piece of iron will be punished with the same piece of iron in the Hell Fire."

Narrated Jundab the Prophet said, "A man was inflicted with wounds and he committed suicide, and so Allah said: My slave has caused death on himself hurriedly, so I forbid Paradise for him."

i hope this answers a lot may Allah help you overcome your struggle and guide you on the right path direct to junaat inshallah

Khaled wrote at 2010-01-22 02:07:06
Salaam Bashir,

I understand that this reponse to your advice comes a little late. However, it is nontheless still relevant.

I found your response/advice to the Muslim lady who self-harms as being utterly useless at best, and dangerous at worst.

Firstly, you outline that 'self harm' in Islam is haram and then give reasons. You suggest that self harm didn't take place during the Prophet's (PBUH) time because it was unlawful. Where is your evidence that people did not engage in self harm? If they didn't, it is most likely not due to it being unlawful, but rather that the psychological pressures upon the youth are not the same then as today.

Secondly, you frighten people with your quotes from the Qur'an. There are far more compassionate and merciful passages from the Qur'an that you could have used. Why did you not use them? I suspect this is because you fail to recognise the deeply psychological nature to self-harm and the need for sufferers to be not-judged (that is only for Allah (swa)) and to be given compassion.

The act of Self harm is not a rational act. Therefore, simply stating that it is haram will not necessarily prevent it.

Please be more considerate to the sensitive nature of both pschological and youth issues.

wa salaam.

Khaled wrote at 2010-01-22 02:27:47
Salaams Hamad and Iffah,

Hamad you have provided a lengthly response to sister Iffah's issue with self harm.

I have two major issues with your advice. Firstly, you project all the knowledge you have regarding people who self harm onto sister Iffah. You assume that she fits into these generalisations and furthermore you tell her what she feels! This is wrong and unethical. The people will tell you what they feel (if they choose to) not the other way round.

Secondly, self harm is related to mental-illness. It is linked to clinical depression, suicide and OCD. It does not mean that one is 'crazy' but rather than often psychiatric help may be required. For others, psychologists/friends will help.

I thank you for your last paragraph ("Do not think too much about this being Haram..."). I agree completely.

Remember, Allah (swt) tests those He loves.

wa salaams,

Khaled.

Hamad wrote at 2010-03-03 02:57:03
Walikum assalam brother Khaled,

I thank you for your insightful feedback. Let me point out to some of the things from my response to show that I was not exactly putting words into the questioner's mouth.

You will notice I first "define" self-harm according to psychology. This was about a person's reason to inflict pain upon them to express an inner scream'. Here, I clearly am not stating what she 'should' be feeling but rather what a possible reason could be.

Secondly, I then said that I know she isn't doing it for attention-seeking as it mostly is for, but because it provides her "with a sense of relief and control over" her body. This was due to her mention of feeling "relieved, better and somehow more real" when she used to cut herself.

Thirdly, I mention two forms of people who resort to self-harm. One who do it to "feel more alive" and others to detach themselves from "reality". Her case being the former which again is not what I believe or force her to think but rather from her claim of how it makes her feel "more real".

I do not believe that I had projected my knowledge about self-harming onto the questioner. I feel it was her right to understand and know what is generally said about this particular problem. Unfortunately, I cannot notice anywhere where I have fit her into any particular category. If you reread my answer you will see that all the points I have taken or "assumed" are directly based on what she has said about herself and not my personal views. The only place you will find my personal views is how it is linked to Islam since you don't normally find an authentic reference to it from a scholar's perspective.

So therefore, I think that you clearly have misunderstood my response since I had no such intention and I hold to some very strict code of ethics.

I am not sure what you second issue with my response was since I too had clearly mentioned self-harm being a "psychological problem" and does not mean she has a "mental problem", meaning being "crazy" in your words. Also, in the same sentence you will read I say she is a "classic case of self-injuring type personality". This is not any form of generalizing bur rather a fact since she has shown the same signs. Otherwise, claiming it to be linked to "clinical depression, suicide and OCD" and the need for "psychiatric help" suggests the same form of generalizing that you accuse me of.

I thank you for your feedback once again. I assure you that I keep all of my answers free from any form of prejudgment. Otherwise, when it comes to psychological issues, it becomes necessary to do some profiling which actually is the first thing any psychologist does by letting you do the talking. This allows them to understand their problems better and provide with the appropriate help.

Jazak Allah and Assalam alikum,

Hamad

Rana wrote at 2010-03-12 14:23:16
Thank you for the interesting thoughts on self-injuring and its religious implications. Based in Germany, I was told self-harm was a symptom rather specific to European and North American Christian youth. I got rather interested in the relation between one's beliefs, especially Muslim beliefs, and the tendency to self-harm. In how far morals and values are able to improve the coping mechanisms of self-injuring (or -harming) individuals.

I feel the whole discussion of self-injury being haram or not, though definitely being important, hinders a helpful assessment of and approach to afflicted young people. Or do you have the impression self-injury is really of less importance / prevalence in Muslim youth than in Christian or non-religious young people?

Rana

Hamad wrote at 2010-04-02 02:18:21
Assalam alikum dear Rana,

While I did not know about the views of self-harm in Germany I thank you for the information and the interesting point you make. While there is a difference in the coping mechanism provided by the different faiths around the world, the aspect of Islam I am more interested and focused on is the psychology in it. I do not believe that a helpful assessment cannot be provided through a discussion about what Islam says about self-harm. The reason being that psychology is tightly integrated into the teachings of Islam. You actually asked two different questions because being of "less importance" and "prevalence" are separate things.

If you ask of self-injury being of less importance for Muslim then that woudn't be true. Quite simply, just like people from non-believers, Muslims too are humans and do get affected by the same things. The main difference is that Islam tips the problem from the bud; because once it begins to grow it can be difficult to stop it. If you ask about the "prevalance" of self-harm in Muslim then I would say it is more or less the same as that of disbelievers. That does not imply a problem with Islam but within the Muslims themselves. Understanding the religious implications of self-harm might not provide a proper assessment to the issue at hand, but because as Muslims Islam plays an important role in the decisions we take, it is necessary to know this as well. But again if necessary or required, a valid and helpful assessment can be provided if one sees self-injury not from a religious person's point of view or from a psychologists but rather from both at the same time. Neither of the two would be a more helpful individually.

I hope I got my point across because you asked a good question but it would require a longer and more detailed answer to encapsulate ever aspect of self-injury with Islam and psychology. This all is just my personal point of view of course. Allah knows best.

Salaam,

shona khan wrote at 2011-03-07 21:00:01
I think you need to talk to someone in your house like your sister or brother who knows you very well and then both can try to make your family understand i hope you get off this self harming because you are wrecking up your beauty

hope you do get off it

and may Allah help you  

xx_demolitionlover_xx wrote at 2014-05-31 01:36:52
I'm sorry you feel so bad that you have to hurt yourself. I'm also a Muslim and I'm really depressed, I really want to die and I'm seriously considering self harm (my Muslim friend is 😢), ill save you the long story explaining why. But I just don't feel like I HAVE to do it yet, but I know I will soon. I constantly worry about if it's a sin and when I consider the possibility I is I just cry or say, "I'm going to hell anyway, so what's the point", I don't really know why I'm telling you this and i know I'm wasting your time but I just thought it was cool that I wasn't the only person who felt this way. Sorry.  

Badpeoplecanbegood wrote at 2016-02-16 04:45:32
Asalamulaykum:)

Unfortunately I was in the same boat as you. I started cutting as 12 year old (almost thirteen) towards the end of seventh grade. You don't seem tk be depressed anymore and are actually asking for help. I am very proud of you. I am a self healed person who managed to get over it with the help of Allah SWT.  Unlike you I was not religious and did not pray however I was very fortunate to be left with very few scars. I also cut with a razor blade so I can relate to u in more than one way.

It is haram to cut. However since you did not know that it isn't considered that way. of course I'm not sure about this but from what I've heard others say as well this should be right. However please beg for forgiveness. Allah SWT is the most kind and merciful her will surely forgive you. You have not done anything wrong you and I were just confused it's okay. There isn't anything wrong with dealing with things differently and the world isn't going to hate us. And when we look back at our scars we can't be sad and we can't regret them. Because our scars are our battle armpit and proof of our pain and suffering. If we regretted them we would be putting that period in our lives to shame.

As ways go to stop cutting here's some advice (this is how I stopped). If u miss one day of cutting then keep on missing days, they don't have to be in a row, then cutting soon looses whatever spell it originally held over both of us and doesn't feel as good as before. This just lessons depressions but if your not depressed anymore than it's fine. If u are maybe see someone but it's a lot easier if they don't know about us cutting.

Sorry for any typos:)

Muslim Teens

Hamad