Muslim Teens/Self harm

Question
Salams,
I wanted to ask about getting tattoos done to cover self harm scars.
Is it haram?

Answer
Peace to you!

Thanks for your message. My heart was aching as I read about your horrible experiences. You are asking what you should do, whether you are allowed to cover scars with tattoos. First, have you considered other options?

Have you thought of asking your GP what is available? In addition to that, every day before bed rub some olive oil on your arms, etc and wash it off in the morning, this should help the scars to heal and fade faster.

Apparently talcum powder can make them look faded. Use foundation to cover them up to look like your normal skin.

If you have some money, then you could go to a makeup store and buy a special concealer. Some brands sell colour correcting concealer. Eg. For read spots the concealer could be green because they are contrasting colours (opposite on the colour wheel) and the green balances out the red.

Another option, which could be expensive, depending on where you buy it from, is tattoo cover-up. This usually comes in liquid/cream and many people use it cover up their tattoos for job interviews and many models use it too. I recommend doing you're research on it.

If all this is not for you then you could get a tattoo as a last resort provided you deal with the root of this problem first. (Actually, you should do this, before you try all the other things...:-) Unless you deal with the cause of the initial self harm period, you will not succeed. You will harm yourself in other ways, eg. smoking, drinking, kicking the cat, etc.  

The need to hurt themselves usually comes from emotions that are very difficult to cope with. Young people might self-harm because it's a way of releasing tension or anger. It's a physical pain that they can deal with, rather than an emotional feeling that they find hard to cope with.

The root problem starts here: Firstly, you need to change your thoughts. Do not believe what people say about you! You are created by God and as such you are dearly loved by him. The suffering you endure can only be coped with if you know someone loves you dearly and one day they will take you to a place where there is no more pain. That someone does exist. It is God, your Creator and Sustainer. In the Injeel, the last book before the Quran, we read:

Revelation 21:1–7

Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”  for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’  or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children.'

I strongly advice you to find out how to become one of God's children.  This will only be possible with God's help.

As clearly mentioned in my description, I am a follower of Jesus according to the Bible and my expertise is ONLY in answering questions Muslims have regarding Jesus, the Injeel, Zabur, Torah, how to get forgiveness, or the perspective of followers of Jesus on questions Muslims ask. My advise given above is from that perspective since most Muslims are against tattoes.

The reason for me being in the Islam section is that Muslims usually learn about Christianity from Muslims. That is bad academic scholarship and leads to great misunderstandings. If you have a question about an illness you go to a medical doctor not to someone who has a PhD in computing. Similarly, if you have a question about Christianity you must go to a follower of Jesus not to a Muslim. I am here to conveniently offer the removal of misunderstandings. Here is a brief summary of two of the most common ones that may have arisen due to an isolated minority cult that has never represented mainline Christian teachings:

“Jesus is the son of God.” The Bible does not teach that Jesus is the physical son of God. That would be blasphemy. The term, ‘Son’ is to be understood in a spiritual sense, like in, ‘a son of the road’ (=a frequent traveler who knows the roads inside out). For more details please visits Christian websites such as: http://www.christianityexplained.net/explainedto/muslims/12.html
“Christians believe in three gods and Mary is one of them.” The Bible does not teach such blasphemy. The correct teaching is that there is only one, unique God. For more details see: http://www.christianityexplained.net/explainedto/muslims/11.html

If you wish to learn more about the main message of the Holy Bible, I do offer an e-mail correspondence course on it. The first lesson explores what the Quran says about the Torah and Injeel and whether they are still reliable. Would you like to do this study?

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further help in any of the above.

Sincerely,

A. Abraham

Muslim Teens

A. Abraham