Muslim Teens/Supporting homosexuality

Question
I have nothing against homosexuality, and see no reason to discriminate against them. The Qu'ran forbids homosexuality, i'm not a  homosexual, but I support gay rights.

Is it wrong?

and if supporting gays is haram
is it halal to kill gays publicly as some muslims do?

Answer
Peace to you!

Dear Saud,

Thank you for your good question. As you wrote correctly, the Quran forbids homosexuality. Hence as a Muslim it is wrong to support gay rights. Regarding your question whether it is halal to kill gays publicly as some Muslims do, we first need to understand why they do it.

"...In the case of homosexuality, how it is dealt with differs between the four mainline schools of Sunni jurisprudence today, but what they all agree upon is that homosexuality is worthy of a severe penalty.

In the Hanafi school of thought, the homosexual is first punished through harsh beating, and if he/she repeats the act, the death penalty is to be applied.

As for the Shafi`i school of thought, the homosexual receives the same punishment as adultery (if he/she is married) or fornication (if not married). This means, that if the homosexual is married, he/she is stoned to death, while if single, he/she is whipped 100 times. Hence, the Shafi`i compares the punishment applied in the case of homosexuality with that of adultery and fornication.

The Hanafi differentiates between the two acts because in homosexuality, anal sex [something that is prohibited, regardless of orientation] may also be involved, while in adultery [and fornication], the penis/vagina (which are reproductive parts) are involved.

Some scholars, based on the Qur'an and various ahadith, hold the opinion that the homosexual should be thrown from a high building or stoned to death[1] as a punishment for their crime, but other scholars maintain that they should be imprisoned until death. [2]

Another view is that between two males, the active partner is to be lashed a hundred times if he is unmarried, and killed if he is married; whereas the passive partner is to be killed regardless of his marital status.[3]

...Within the context of Islamic thought, this attitude originated from the Prophet Muhammad, and since he is considered by all mainstream Muslims to be the Uswa Hasana (the perfect example) we find that the majority of Muslims still consider this harsh treatment of homosexuals to be justified.

Muhammad himself had stated, “If you find anyone doing as Lot's people did, kill the one who does it, and the one to whom it is done.”[5] He even went so far as to condemn the “appearance” of homosexuality, when he cursed effeminate men and masculine women and ordered his followers to "Turn them out of your houses."[6] This ruling on homosexuals was naturally adopted by his later successors.

The father of Aisha and Muhammad’s first successor, Abu Bakr, had a homosexual burned at the stake. The fourth Rightly-Guided Caliph, Muhammad’s son-in-law Ali, ordered homosexuals to be stoned, and even had one thrown from the minaret of a mosque.[7]...

Even by moderate Muslims (who are found primarily among the tiny 3% of the world's Muslims living in "more-developed regions"),[9] homosexuality is seen as something that is vile and unacceptable. For example, a Gallup survey carried out in early 2009 found that British Muslims have zero tolerance for Homosexuality. Not even a single British Muslim interviewed believed that homosexual acts were morally acceptable.[10][11] Also according to a Zogby International poll of American Muslims taken in November and December of 2001, a massive 71 percent opposed "allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally."[12] Another worrying statistic to be found among Muslims in the UK, is that although they comprise just 2% of the total British population, they commit 25% of all anti-Homosexual crimes.[13]

So, with the rise of Islam in the UK and the rest of the world, we also see the inadvertent return to the morality of seventh-century Arabia, with Muslim gangs on the streets of England carrying out violent attacks on gays[14] and mosques labeled as “moderate” calling for the murder of homosexuals at the hands of their congregation.[15]"

----------------

References:

1. "So when Our punishment came upon the people of Lut, We turned the city upside down and showered them with stones of baked clay, one after another." - Qur'an 11:82
2. Fatwa Bank: Death Fall as Punishment for Homosexuality - Islam Online, July 22, 2002
See the chapter on "hudud" in Sharaya and Sharh Lum'a also al-Khu'i, Takmilah, p. 42-44.
El-Rouayheb, 2005, p. 156
"Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: If you find anyone doing as Lot's people did, kill the one who does it, and the one to whom it is done." - Abu Dawud 38:4447
"Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: The Prophet cursed effeminate men (those men who are in the similitude (assume the manners of women) and those women who assume the manners of men, and he said, "Turn them out of your houses ." The Prophet turned out such-and-such man, and 'Umar turned out such-and-such woman." - Sahih Bukhari 7:72:774
Serge Trifkovic - Islam's Love-Hate Relationship with Homosexuality - FrontPageMag, January 24, 2003
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid - Why does Islam forbid lesbianism and homosexuality? - Islam Q&A, Fatwa No. 10050
"As of 2010, about three-quarters of the world’s Muslims (74.1%) live in the 49 countries in which Muslims make up a majority of the population. More than a fifth of all Muslims (23.3%) live in non-Muslim-majority countries in the developing world. About 3% of the world’s Muslims live in more-developed regions, such as Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand and Japan." - The Future of the Global Muslim Population, The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, January 27, 2011
Muslims in Britain have zero tolerance of homosexuality, says poll - The Guardian, May 7, 2009
The Gallup Coexist Index 2009: A Global Study of Interfaith Relations - Section 2: Public Perceptions Toward Integration, p. 31
Islamohomophobia - WoldNetDaily, October 2, 2002
"Gay police group's "anti-Christian" ad rapped", Reuters, October 18, 2006 (Original URL|Charles Johnson's commentary|Full text)
Gay fears rise after street gang’s murderous attack - EastLondonAdvertiser, September 4, 2008
So -Called Moderate UK Mosque Preaches Hate, Urges Faithful To "Kill Gays" - PipelineNews, September 2, 2008
-----------------------------------------

The Biblical Christian view:

Homosexuality is a sin but only when it is practiced as a life style. Then God will punish after death. It is wrong for people to kill homosexuals here on earth. Since God in the Biblical view loves the sinner but hates the sin we too must love the sinners of all kinds of sin, including practicing homosexuality, by not discriminating against them.

After all, everyone is a sinner in the eyes of God and by his perfect standards. So we must not point the finger at homosexuals only, being aware that if we do, three fingers point back at ourselves!

We all need to apply God's solution to our sin. It is found in the torah, zabur and injeel. To find out more about the main teaching of these books I can send you a free and easy six lessons course via e-mail. Please let me know if you have any more questions or comments to what has been said, or/and if you would like to take up this offer to fulfill what the prophet of Islam said: "Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave."

Kind regards,

A. Abraham  

Muslim Teens

A. Abraham