Mutual Funds/Percentage Increase

Question
Hello:

What is considered a good daily percentage increase for the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Standard and Poors 500, and the NASDAQ stock exchanges?

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
Dear Kenneth--

Over the years, the stock market has returned around 8.5% a year. (The Dow and the S&P 500 pretty much track each other.)

Let's assume that there are 250 trading days in a typical year.

That means that if the stock market were totally stable, it would appreciate 00.034%  a day. (250 X 0.00034)

Of course, the stock market is notoriously volatile; some years, it even loses money.

I hope this answer helps.

Warren Boroson  

Mutual Funds

Warren Boroson