Mutual Funds/Closed-End Mutual Funds

Are closed-end funds a safe investment as safe as mutual funds, open-end funds?

I never hear any financial reports about closed-end funds on any of the popular financial news programs.

I thank you for your reply.

Hi Kenneth,

There is not enough information here to properly answer the question.  There are closed end funds that are conservative and closed end funds that are speculative.  The same would apply to open end funds.  The investment category or investment objective (Small cap growth, short term bond, capital appreciation, capital preservation, etc.), whether it be open end or closed end, would be the key factor in assessing the riskiness of the fund.

I hope this helps.
Michael Weiss, CFA

Mutual Funds

Michael Weiss, CFA

I can answer most questions about mutual funds.

I am the owner of Series 7 Exam Tutor , a financial tutoring business that provides personalized tutoring for the Series 7 Exam, the Series 6 Exam ,the Series 65 Exam, the Series 66 Exam, the Series 63 Exam and the Series 24 Exam . I also offer tutoring for finance courses. For additional information, please visit, Finance Exam Tutor. Prior to launching Series 7 Exam Tutor, I worked in investments for 20 years with the majority of this time focused on investment analysis and portfolio management. I have worked for large companies such as Merrill Lynch and Evergreen Investments and have also worked for smaller firms as well. Throughout my career, I have sought to mentor younger colleagues whenever possible, especially those enrolled in the CFA program. I completed the CFA program in 2002 after passing all three exams on the first try. I also passed the Series 7 Exam with a score of 94%. For additional information about me, you can visit the links below:

CFA Institute and CFA Society of Philadelphia

M.B.A. in Finance & Investments from the Zicklin School of Business at Baruch College and a B.A. in Finance & Economics from the City University of New York - Baccalaureate Program.