Mutual Funds/bond mutual funds

I am 61 yrs old, pretty much retired and currently have approx. 36% of my portfolio in bond mutual funds and cash, and the rest in regular mutual funds. I don't want to get super conservative just yet, hoping I have a few years left to take advantage of any real growth that may occur in the market. I will likely need to start drawing money from my funds in about 10 years. I do want to get more conservative as time goes by, is it advisable to put a little more in bond funds now, or keep it as it is for awhile?  Thanks

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the question.  Keep in mind that I do not provide personalized investment advice but I can give you a few things to think about.  When you say advisable, do you mean from an asset allocation perspective consistent with your goals or "good time to invest in bonds perspective"  Also, when you say "regular mutual funds", do you mean equity funds?  Someone with a 10 year time horizon and moderate risk tolerance probably should have a moderate allocation, meaning a balance of fixed income and equity investments. There is no magic formula for determining an appropriate asset allocation.  Some people use a rule of thumb for investing in equities which is 100 - your age. In your case, that would suggest a 39% equity allocation. However, you goals suggest a higher equity allocation more in the balanced area (perhaps 60 equity/40 bonds for example. Over time, most people do reduce their equity allocations.

Mutual Funds

Michael Weiss, CFA

I can answer most questions about mutual funds.

I am the owner of Series 7 Exam Tutor , a financial tutoring business that provides personalized tutoring for the Series 7 Exam, the Series 6 Exam ,the Series 65 Exam, the Series 66 Exam, the Series 63 Exam and the Series 24 Exam . I also offer tutoring for finance courses. For additional information, please visit, Finance Exam Tutor. Prior to launching Series 7 Exam Tutor, I worked in investments for 20 years with the majority of this time focused on investment analysis and portfolio management. I have worked for large companies such as Merrill Lynch and Evergreen Investments and have also worked for smaller firms as well. Throughout my career, I have sought to mentor younger colleagues whenever possible, especially those enrolled in the CFA program. I completed the CFA program in 2002 after passing all three exams on the first try. I also passed the Series 7 Exam with a score of 94%. For additional information about me, you can visit the links below:

CFA Institute and CFA Society of Philadelphia

M.B.A. in Finance & Investments from the Zicklin School of Business at Baruch College and a B.A. in Finance & Economics from the City University of New York - Baccalaureate Program.